Tuesday 1 July 2008

Crochet Bead Necklace

I've finished my first Bead Necklace made using the Turkish Loop Crochet method, instructions for which can be found here http://www.hookyarnandneedles.com/oldstuff/trkloop. I struggled a bit with the written instructions, but a friend on ravelry gave me a demonstration and then all I had to do was practice.
I used size 30 cotton thread size 0.6mm crochet hooks and beads ranging from 11 to 6 in size. All the beads had to be threaded first, which took a couple of hours, because I wanted them in a specific order, so couldn't use my bead spinner. The bead colours are silver, frosted white, pale aqua, pale apple green and ab coated silver lined clear. I arranged them in a 6 bead repeat pattern.

The work progressed quite quickly once I got the hang of it. I just had to be careful not to drop my working loop, using a 0.6mm hook meant the loop was very small and difficult to find if I needed to pick it up again. Each loop I created consisted of 6 beads, there were 3 loops per round. I finished it off by attaching a small lobster claw clasp at one end and a jump ring at the other.

1 comment:

Virginia Janet said...

Fabulous design!! I also have a crochet style necklace. My mom gifted me on my birthday.