Tuesday 22 July 2008

Tunisian Crochet

I spotted the Tunisian Crochet La Mer Scarf in Interweave Crochet (Summer 08) and decided it would be a great project for learning Tunisian Crochet.
I decided to use Colinette Lasso in Sea Breeze, which I purchased from a LYS called Tangent Treasures in Willington, Derbyshire.
I bought 2 skeins and once completed I had used all of the first skein and a few meters of the second skein.
I generally try to use natural fibres, but the softness and glittery sheen of this yarn won me over.
The next thing I need to find was a 6 mm hook suitable for this style of crochet.
Husband to the rescue, I showed him what I wanted, he disappeared into his workshop and half an hour later, this was the result.
Time to start.
I found the pattern and how to instruction really easy to follow. Once I had got the hang of the pattern rows I was able to keep going without having to refer back to the instructions repeatedly. The scarf grew quite quickly.
I managed to get all the main length of the scarf done with the first skein and part way round the SC border before I needed to start the new skein.
I then had to search through the beads I have stashed to find ones that co-ordinated with the the scarf had large enough holes to thread onto the yarn. I found I did not have as many suitable beads as specified in the pattern, so I adapted the beaded fringe using the beads I had. This resulted in only two rows of beaded loops, but I am happy with the results.

2 comments:

Zu said...

Beautiful scarf! That is so cool that he went and made you a hook so quickly like that. :-)

Cinders said...

I like your scarf. I'm impressed with your husband. can he make me a skein winder? My hubby was supposed to be making me one but the wood is still at B& Q!!!