Wednesday 18 June 2008

Bead Crochet

I have done crochet for over 30 years, and I learnt beading about 3 years ago, but I had never tried putting the two together.
It was at a recent meeting of the Southern Derbyshire Knitters Ravelry group, that I asked one of the members to show me how to crochet with beads.
When I got home I dug through my supplies and found some cream no 10 crochet cotton and a box full of size 8 seed beads.

I used my recently purchased bead spinner to thread all the beads, which not only saved time, but also resulted in far fewer bead being flicked across the room. (The bead flicking is down to poor control of a beading needle when threading by hand)

Once all the beads had been strung, I sat down with a 1.50mm hook and made a 6 chain ring, followed by working slip stitch into each chain, continuing in a spiral.
I will admit that I ripped it back completely about 3 times and also ripped back a few rounds occasionally as I progressed, but I finally used all the beads and this bracelet is the result.

No comments: